- Agriculture contributes approximately 23-30 percent of national GDP.
- About 50% of the economically active population is dependent on agriculture.
- 47% of over 13,600,000 hectares of arable land is farmed predominantly on a smallholder basis.
- Majority of farm holdings are less than 2 hectares in size.
- Soil texture, pH and nutrient levels; play an important role in agricultural productivity.
FARMERS ‘TWAMETUM’ (‘Connect Me’) PROGRAM
- OMNIFERT’s approach is focused on providing the right seeds and the right specification of fertilizers according to the soil and crop types, on an area by area and a farm-by-farm case.
- Our goal is to positively impact the lives of the millions of people who depend partly or fully on agriculture for their livelihoods.
- The Farmers Twametum program therefore includes:
- Supporting small and medium holder farmers through live demonstrations and results
- Extending our soil testing research to individual farmers’ plots.
- Provision of free fertilizer.
- Teaching good agricultural practices.
- Starting with 10,000 farmers in 2022, our ambition is to reach 50,000 farmers through Twametum by 2024.
- The Farmer Twametum Program will be giving at least 10,000 farmers our fertilizers every year to:
- Demonstrate its effectiveness by providing a comparative analysis for them right there on their farms.
- Generate extra income through improved yield.
- Show the advantage of using highly researched agro-chemicals.
- Building and maintaining relationships
- Farmers will be connected to agronomists who are also relationship managers.
- Farmers can call or SMS agronomists when in need of information on best practices.
- Farmers who demonstrate the best practices will be rewarded with additional support such as:
- Additional farm inputs – seeds and fertilizers.
- Top farmer of the year will receive a pickup truck for their farm.
- Women Empowerment
- Financial advice to wives/women farming communities.
- Information on how to obtain higher yields while making the right savings and investment decisions.
- Training in food management and post-harvest best practices.